Tuesday, July 23, 2013

"Momma's" thoughts

Tuesday Already!
It is hard to believe that so many days have gone by since we said goodbye to our sweet girl  and got to come home to our beautiful kiddos and get those much needed hugs (by all!!).  It has been a bit of a whirlwind! We landed on Saturday 3 pm (after 22 hours of travel- 3 flights and much waiting!!) and the next morning had to say goodbye to Emily as she headed to Milwaukee on a mission trip with a team of youth from our church. Justin came home Sunday from a fun time at a friends cabin and then a few short hours later we took him to gun safety camp at Eagle Bluff (he gets home tonight- hooray!!).  I am ready to have everyone under the same roof soon!  Since we returned it's been laundry, dishes, soaking up moments with my kiddos, real world stuff, and a time of rest and reflection for me (and Praising the Lord for the amazingly good and challenging and fun and emotional trip to Ghana, the beautiful place we live, the amazing support we have, the clean water and air conditioning ;0), and my happy place- my home and family- oh and my tub :0)!).  

 I apologize for being so silent on the trip and letting Jay do all the talking. (Although it was a treat for me to hear his thoughts, and of course I put my two cents in too). Most days I was like that first time mom- I  napped when Joy napped- and soon after she fell asleep I too could not seem to keep my eyes open.  I will save some thoughts for another time but I wanted to give you a peek into a few moments.

 I am often asked- "What was it like to meet her, to see her for the first time?"- A tumble of thoughts and emotions:   It was amazing, exciting, frightening, public (in the middle of a hotel lobby- I felt on display), wonderful- this is really our Joy!!!, in person!!!- drinking in every feature and expression, thinking- I have waited so long for this moment and prayed so fervently for it!, surreal- this does not feel real at all!, in awe- she is so beautiful and sweet!! careful- not wanting to move too fast- giving her time to adjust to 2 new faces that she has never seen, nor has any idea who we are or who we will be (her parents!), respectful- of the people who brought her and care for her in our absence, protective- wanting her to come out of the public eye and recognizing her fear, happy and thrilled- in awe that I get to spend a whole week with her - learning about the person my 6th child is! Frightened that she would NOT bond with us and it would be a disaster of a week.  Struck by the honor and privilege it is to be called to be her mom- someday. Important- I will remember that moment for the rest of my life!!  
Finally!  We got the call to come meet our Joy!

gifts for Joy.

Daddy- are you ready?

Mommy- are you ready?

Finally!  In my arms!!!
                                                       

How is that for a window in to my mind :0).  It really is so hard to translate all that is thought and felt in that snapshot of a moment- and all that I continued to think and feel over the week that followed.  These are a portion. (Exhausting huh?)

Then the time of real bonding came - slowly at first- stronger each day- through playing and comforting and talking, laughing, parenting and caring for this amazing little girl- and I am so thankful for that amazingly great but exhausting, tough week.

OK- more snippets to come. You all probably need a nap after that emotional roller coaster (welcome to my recent life ;0) ).   For now, I am off to more piles of laundry and catch up.   Thanks for continuing to pray for us and for supporting us through this adventure. We cannot express what it means to us!!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update. I can't imagine all that you have been through, but your and Jay's posts have helped and given us plenty for which to pray.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, how amazing to have finally held her in your arms! Loved hearing these updates, it's a very special time in your lives!

    ReplyDelete